Managing Dental Pain
When you are experiencing dental pain from a toothache or post-operative discomfort after an invasive dental procedure, it is common to reach for a pain reliever in hopes of feeling better as quickly as possible. However, dentists in the St. Augustine FL area are warning patients to be informed and responsible when it comes to the pain relievers which contain acetaminophen.
Acetaminophen has been found to cause liver damage when it is overused and dentists are changing the way that they are prescribing common pain relievers for the management of dental pain. This comes after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has released a list of recommendations aimed at reducing the incidence of liver injury from the use of certain medications. These recommendations are particularly important for dentists who regularly prescribe acetaminophen-containing medications such as Vicodin, Lortab, and Percocet for dental pain. The recommendations are as follows:
- The maximum daily dose of acetaminophen for adults should be less than 4000 milligrams
- The current maximum single dose of acetaminophen for adults of 1000 milligrams should be by prescription only.
- For over-the-counter use of acetaminophen, the maximum adult dose should be 650 mg or less.
- A black-box warning on any prescription product that contains acetaminophen.
- The concentration of over-the-counter acetaminophen-containing products should be standardized.
Dental patients are urged to consult their dentists and/or physicians before selecting over-the-counter pain relievers for dental problems. Dental patients should also discuss their pain management options with the dentist prior to undergoing extensive dental procedures or surgeries. The dentist may choose to prescribe an alternative to acetaminophen products, according to your medical history and degree of pain tolerance.
If you are experiencing dental pain or are concerned about your pain management options, consult a dentist in the St. Augustine area today for more information and professional advice.